Yeast Starter

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Yeast Starter

Postby Harold » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:46 pm

What am I doing wrong??? I have searched, using the search window, for the better part of 1 hour for various ways to make yeast starters. I find all sorts of info with the word *yeast* within each thread and occasionally the word *starter*. I just can't seem to filter everything out and get only yeast starter recipes.

I have DME and I have yeast. I even have concentrated orange juice. Now I need a "kick-ass recipe" to make a pint of yeast starter. Someone please point me in the right direction as to HOW to search for what I need.

Thanks,
Harold
Having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
I waited all night for the sun to set but then it dawned on me. Ah Alaska!
Harold
Bootlegger

Re: Yeast Starter

Postby rad14701 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 am

How do you know you need a pint of yeast starter...??? What recipe are you making, in what volume, and what yeast are you intending to use...???

Are you looking to rehydrate/proof the yeast or make an actual "yeast bomb"...???
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby Harold » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:16 pm

I am looking to make a yeast bomb. Using baker's yeast and initially 7 gallons of wort. Eventually I want to end up with a total of 16 gal of beer after adding appropriate amount of sugar and water for an OG of 1.040.

Harold
Harold
Bootlegger

Postby heartcut » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:24 am

30g of dry yeast, rehydrated in water for a couple hours, should be enough for 16 gal 1.04 wort. If you want a starter, make a quart or two of the wort you intend to pitch into (or a sugar and nutrient solution of 1.04 SpGr) and use it for the starter, stir in 10g of the yeast, let them breed for a couple days, stirring occasionally with a sanitized spoon (leave about 1/3 of the container for foaming), then pitch into your ferment.
heartcut

My fake plants died because I didn't pretend to water them.

Mitch Hedberg
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Coyote » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:48 am

Sour dough starter is a yeast bomb

1 cup warm water a small amount (1/4 cup) of flour mix to a very thin paste

add dry yeast mix well and cover lightly for 4 or 5 days keeping warm

On the kitchen counter covered with a towel is warm enough.

after five days or so you can add equal amounts of water and flour

then let it work for 5 days or so

Keep adding until you have what quantity you want, remove what you need and replace with an equal
of water and flour

My starter is over 125 years old - got it from an old neighbor, 25 years ago
I leave it in the refer and pull it out several times a year - stir it up, set it out on the counter for several days
good to go

Have not tried this in a mash - - - YET but I keep thinking about it

Sour Dough Starter gets sour over time not so much at first so a new starter would probably work for you.

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
Coyote
Forum Mod

Postby Harold » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:19 am

Good Morning Guys,

Hope all are well this Spring morning. The song says, "When it's Spring-time in Alaska it's forty below". "Spring has sprung" here in Alaska and though we still have 6 to 8 feet of snow in our yards, the temperature is well above zero with the promise of a beautiful, warm-up for the day. Buds are swelling on some trees and break-up is just around the corner.

Thanks for the recipes. Both are very helpful and much appreciated. Having said this, I am still at a loss when it comes to properly and effectively using HD's search engine to filter and find specific information. I would have thought this site would have a plethora of recipes for yeast starters or even a wealth of information on pitching temps, how much to use for a given size fermentation container of wort, or .......... So, if possible, give me a hint on how to effectively use this search engine to filter and find information on various specific topics.

Naturally, when using Google, I found John Palmer's site on yeast starters as well as other sites containing "off-shoots" of Palmer's information but I was hoping there would be recipes somewhere at HD that had been used and are easily and quickly located. Maybe this is not possible with HD's search engine but if you know a better way to search on HD than to plug in a word, I would appreciate a clue as to how this is done.

Thanks,
Harold :)
Harold
Bootlegger

Postby iculus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Click the link then click on "yeast pitching rate calculator". leave the first filter on "ale". and this calculator is designed for beer, which is usually fermented cooler than a wash so you can probably go a bit smaller than they suggest.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast-tools.php
iculus
Novice

Postby Prairiepiss » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Use the Google search link. It's down and to the left of the search link. It mite work better for you. I know its been a bit since you asked. But.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby Durace11 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 am

Harold wrote:I am looking to make a yeast bomb. Using baker's yeast and initially 7 gallons of wort. Eventually I want to end up with a total of 16 gal of beer after adding appropriate amount of sugar and water for an OG of 1.040. Harold

For an OG of 1.040 you shouldn't need a starter but if you want to make one just do 1/2 cup DME in 1 quart of water, boil the DME, let it cool pitch the yeast, shake or swirl it every time you walk by it until it finishes(stir plate if you have it). If you want a larger starter just add another 1/2 cup DME in 1 quart of water until you reach the size starter you want.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Durace11
Distiller

Postby rad14701 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Durace11 wrote:For an OG of 1.040 you shouldn't need a starter . . . .

The specific gravity of the wash isn't the main determining factor on whether or not to use a starter, the initial yeast colony size for the volume of wash is... The larger the yeast colony, whether from a high dry pitch rate or a prepared starter, the less lag time which equates to a shorter fermentation time, and the less time for an infection to take hold...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby MitchyBourbon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 pm

It may not be the best reason, but my son once dared me to use a yeast starter. I couldn't let my son think I was a wuss. So I made a yeast starter and that was my main reason. :think:
I'm goin the distance...
MitchyBourbon
Master Distiller

Postby Harold » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 am

I found a recipe that was suitable, tweaked it a bit, and it worked absolutely great. Initially, on the front end of things, it was a bit time consuming but in the end it was worth the effort. I didn't have to wait for the aerobic phase to end and the anaerobic phase to begin when pitching. Using a yeast starter does significantly decrease the chances of opportunistic organisms infecting the wort. So use of a yeast starter will likely become SOP in my AO.
Last edited by Harold on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold
Bootlegger

Postby beowoulfe » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am

Harold wrote:I found a recipe that was suitable, tweaked it a bit, and it worked absolutely great.

Will you share the recipe/process? I'm interested.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when it deserves it."
--Mark Twain
beowoulfe
Novice

Postby Harold » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:22 pm

beowoulfe wrote:
Harold wrote:I found a recipe that was suitable, tweaked it a bit, and it worked absolutely great.

Will you share the recipe/process? I'm interested.

I have sent you a PM. Check your priviate message.

KGB
Harold
Bootlegger

Return to Yeasts, Enzymes, Fungi, Nutrients